• Am I A Writer?

    Have you ever wondered if you are a writer at heart?  Do you have what it takes to write?  I have thought of this often, and still do.  I always wonder why I do it, since I don't really make much money for the amount of hours I put into it.  Is it worth it to me?  What are some of the traits of a writer?  What makes me a writer?

    Do I dream about writing?  Most definitely.  I dream that some day I will actually get to do it as
    my full time career.  I dream about publishing my first novel.  I do have dreams about other things I would love to write.  So, yes, I definitely dream about writing, and have for as long as I can remember.  It has always been a passion of mine to write, and now I am finally finding the time and means to do it.  Open your mind to envision your dreams, and they will happen.  You can make them happen.


    Do I love to read?  I totally love to read.  A sign of a writer is someone who loves to read.  I remember as a kid, I used to spend hours laying on top of the deep freeze reading.  Why?  I have no idea, I just know I did it.  Perhaps the quiet hum of the freezer, and the warmth it put out, helped me find that peace I needed to settle down and read.  I also remember laying on the lawn reading in the sunshine.  We lived on a farm, and though it sounds funny, I remember even going up on the barn roof, and gentle sloped roof, and laying in the sun with a book all afternoon.  I still love to read today, in pretty much any quiet, comfy place I can find.

    Do you like to write things, even if there is no money in it?  I do this all of the time.  In fact, I usually write on blogs and things, just because I love to do it.  Sure I would love to make some money writing, but even if that never happened, I would be happy just doing what I am doing.  It takes me to my happy place!  :)

    Do you have notebooks and binders full of things you have written, or researched?  You know you are a writer when..... Yes, I have notebooks full of things I have written.  In fact buying notebooks is kind of one of my weaknesses.  The more the merrier.  In fact, if I find notebooks on sale, I buy a bunch and tuck them away for just in case.  Oh ya, you know you have an obsession when....  Haha.  Always, always carry a small notebook with you to write down thoughts, things you see, hear, smell, or feel. 

    Do I like to tell stories?  Well, I am not a huge story teller, but I love to read stories to kids, and
    to adults.  I love to, love to, yes love to read stories out loud.  My passions lie more with research and non-fiction than fiction, but I am trying my hand at both.  Stretching my limits.

    Do I tend to lean more towards word games like scrabble, word search, crossword puzzles, and the like, instead of other kinds of board games?  I must admit I am there.  I don't have a problem playing a board game or card game, but would prefer word games.  My brain loves them.

    Do I write any time I get a chance, and think about it all of the other times?  Done, and done.  Always and always I am thinking about it, wondering what to write about next, planning in the day planner, and then writing some more.  It is my hobby, and my passion.  Even when I am not writing, I am usually finding things to fill my writing prompt books, my mind map books, and
    other folders with.  Always looking for materials to use for my writing.  Take in the world around you.  Learn to look at things with your writing brain turned on.  Question things.  See things through the eyes of someone who wants to truly learn and understand.  Open your eyes and ears to the world.  Pay attention to the little details that others often overlooked.  Details make good writing material.


    Do I lose track of time when I am writing?  Often I have found myself writing well past the time I have planned to end.  It is easy to keep going, especially if I don't have interruptions.  Time gets completely lost on me when I am writing.

    Do I take criticism well?  A writer needs to be able to do this, and I need work on this.  I don't like to share my work with people I know.  I don't want them to read it because I don't want to hear them question it, or laugh at it, or criticize it.  I need work on this to feel comfortable sharing my personal work.  

    Learn to embrace the chaos in your life because that is what will bring the best material for your writing.  It will give you notebooks full of things to write about.  You can not write about things you don't understand or know about.  Write about life.

    So I guess through all of that, I am a writer at heart.  I do have some things to work on, but it is my passion and I write because of that.  I don't write for others, I write for me, and if others happen to love or use what I write then all the better.  Are you a writer?  Do you have what it takes to be a writer?  Why do you write? 


0 comments:

Post a Comment