• Blank Stares


    This is how I feel on the days when I am drawing a blank!  Love this face!
    This is how I feel on the days when I am drawing a blank! Love this face!

    Have you ever…………… no of course you haven’t!  I am sure I am alone in this one!  Not really, in fact anyone who writes anything at all, even if it is just in your journal, sometimes stares at a blank page.  It seems like I have been doing that a lot lately.  I love to write things.  I love to get my crazy thoughts in my head out there on paper.  It just seems to be a way of relief for me, maybe a form of free therapy!  It doesn’t matter to me who reads it, I just like to write it.


    I haven’t written much for the past couple of  months, and it seems like my life is just to ridiculously crazy and I never get a chance to sit down and do much writing and pondering.  And on those rare times I have had lately, it is usually late at night and I just stare at the computer, and BLANK!  Nothing comes to me.  I even have my notebook of ideas of things to write about, and still BLANK!

    So I decided to just do some maintenance on some of my blogs, do some studying for a few of the courses that I am teaching, and just relax about it.  After all, if it isn’t fun, then it isn’t worth the time I spend doing it.  I guess fun isn’t the right word, I use the word therapeutic.  It makes me feel good.  And there are definitely worse things that could make me feel good!

    In between all of my course prep, and reading time, I have had some health problems.  It has been a whirlwind, but a good growing whirlwind.  You know what they say, a little adversity makes you stronger.  I am not sure I want to be any stronger, but okay, I will go with that one!


    When in doubt, and you don't know what to write about, and that blank stare hits you square in the face, try this:


    One of the easiest ways to free write, is to set your timer – say for 10 minutes – get your paper and pencil or computer ready, push start and go.  Start writing about the first thing that pops into your mind once the timer is going.  Keep writing about everything as it pops into your mind.  Just write continuously until your timer dings and then stop. 
    My Project 3-001Sometimes you will have the makings of a good short story, and other times not so much, but you will be training your brain to write.  If you ever cannot think of things to write about, just start writing about what ever wanders into your head.

    Look at Dr. Suess’ writings.  I am sure he had some really strange things wander through his thoughts.  Lucky for him he started writing them down and created some fantastic stories.  

    Never rule out the crazy or random ideas that scream at you.  They could be great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment