• Reading Aloud

    On the continuation of my kiddos telling stories, I should perhaps share how they ever got to that point.  You see, when they were all little, most other kids would be involved in sports, or classes in which money was involved.  We never had much money.  We only had one vehicle, which dad used for work and was often gone.  It seemed like I was always babysitting someone else's kids as well.  Thus, we stayed home.  The kids played outside with the neighborhood kiddos, and when they came in for the evening, we would read.  I would sit down with them and read story after story.  At first it started with the familiar things, like Berenstain Bears, Dr. Seuss, and those favorites of little children.  As they grew, so did our story time.  I started reading things like Harry Potter, Ink Heart, Septimus Heap, Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites, and those series that would captivate them for hours.  Sometimes, it literally was hours that I would sit and read, and they would sit and listen. No wrestling around, no running, they would just sit and listen.  Then the whining stopped when I quit for the night, usually because my throat was hoarse. For quite a few years, this was our family time.

    No, they didn't grow up being the best at sports,   but I feel I awakened in them a greater creative side.  They LOVE to read.  All of them.  They didn't when they were little.  They just wanted to be read to, but as they grew they started to read for themselves, they grew to love it.

    I believe it also awakened in them the creative arts, for I have kids that love to draw, doodle, sing, dance, play the piano, decorate, are crafty, tell stories, and still read.  Now I am not saying that sports and such are not the better choice for some people, but for my family, reading was the better choice.  I believe it activates a completely different part of the brain that allows them to think differently, and studies of "reading aloud" support that belief. 

    Part way through my journey of reading aloud, I came across a book called "The Read Aloud Handbook" written by Jim Trelease.  It confirmed everything I had felt about reading to my kids and developing that portion of their brain.  A very interesting book and worth the time, as well as a delight to read.  Whether you are a parent, grandparent, or anyone who has anything to do with children, it is a book well worth it's weight in gold, if you get my meaning.  I loved it!  I also love the books written by Mem Fox, Reading Magic.  She has many books, but this one works great with what I am talking about. 

    I do not regret one moment of time spent reading to my children.  I love to see their creative brains at work now as adults, and am proud of how they each have embraced their talents.  I love to read to my grandkids now, and we are at the young children's phase of books once again.  I don't do it near enough, and mental note to self, "pick up the reading more to the little ones", so as to not stifle their creativeness and imagine.

    Worlds are built out of creative minds.  Travel is  unlimited with a creative mind.  Possibilities are endless with a creative mind.  Reading creates and inspires a creative mind to limitless life possibilities!

    Go find a good book and read it today!


     

0 comments:

Post a Comment